There aren't many people who don't like a big bowl full of warm apple crisp. There is something about the fall and the smell of apples andcinnamonwafting through the house as the oven warms the kitchen. The topping of a traditional apple crisp has rolled oats as the main ingredient. If you are making apple crisp for company and you know someone in the group doesn't care for oatmeal or is allergic to it, save your oats for a batch ofoatmeal cookieslater and use this apple crisp recipe without oatmeal.
This recipe uses Bisquick baking mix instead of the oatmeal and calls for a stick of melted butter to be drizzled over the top. Many people prefer this easy recipe because the combination of the Bisquick and the melted butter makes the topping nice and crispy.
Apple Crisp Without Oatmeal Ingredients
4 cups of thinly sliced apples*
1/2 cup of packed, darkbrown sugar
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup Bisquick mix for baking
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten lightly
1/4 pound butter (1 stick)
*You can use your favorite kind of apple, but many people feel that the perfect apple for an apple crisp are tart green apples like Granny Smith.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the apples,brown sugar, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Pour them into an 8 x 8 shallow baking pan.
3. Stir together the Bisquick, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. Pour the egg into the dry mixture and mix well.
5. Pour the topping on top of the apples and spread it evenly.
6. Melt the butter and drizzle it over the topping.
7. Sprinkle the teaspoon ofcinnamonon top.
8. Bake for 35 minutes. You may want to put a metal cooking sheet under the pan. The apple juice can bubble up and dribble out of the pan while baking.
There are a lot of ways to change up an apple crisp recipe. Substitute a cup of peaches or pears for one of the cups of apple, or maybe a cup of blackberries or raspberries. If you like a lot ofcinnamon, put another teaspoon into the apple mixture as well. You can even add 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg along with thecinnamonto the apples.
Even this apple crisp recipe without oatmeal is at its best when served still warm from the oven with a big scoop of ice cream or whipped cream on top.
This article hasn't been commented yet.